Admission Requirements for Bulgarian Higher Education Institutions
Admission requirements and procedure for higher education in Bulgaria varies. Students must have completed secondary education and hold a high school diploma in order to gain entry into the higher education institutions in Bulgaria. Read on to know more about the admission requirements and procedure for higher education in Bulgaria:
Prospective international pupils can enter Bulgarian higher education institutions as a new student or transfer student. For entry as a transfer student in Bulgarian universities, international pupils are required to have completed an equivalent 1-year of study at any accredited international university. International students are assessed on the basis of ECTS and university transcripts. The places are limited for such students so the admissions are competitive and highly selective.
General Admission Requirements
Admission requirements vary from institution to institution, but the main admission requirements remain the same for all higher education institutions.
- For Undergraduate studies: A secondary education diploma is needed for entry into the undergraduate degree programme. The grades must not be below 62%.
- For Masters studies: A bachelor degree or its equivalent qualification is required for entry into the Masters programme. The average grade of the undergraduate degree must be 4 and above, or 72 % of the maximum possible score.
- For Doctorate/Ph.D. studies: A master degree or an equivalent qualification is needed for entry into the doctorate degree programme in Bulgaria. The average grade of the Master degree must be 4 and above
**International pupils who do not have a good command in Bulgarian or English are accepted in higher education institutions in Bulgaria on condition that they will undertake 1-year preparatory programme of respective language.
Prospective students must apply directly to the higher education institution of their choice. Fill in the application form completely and submit it before the deadline to the respective institution along with the required documents.
Following documents are must for entry into higher education institutions in Bulgaria:
- Completed application form: The Bulgarian or other language proficiency level must be mentioned in the application form
- Educational transcripts: Secondary education diploma, grades/scores achieved and subjects undertaken.
- Candidates for master’s degree programme should submit bachelor degree, and for doctorate programme, masters’ degree must be submitted.
- Evidence of sufficient financial means indicating that you’ve sufficient funds to support your study and living in Bulgaria.
- Good health/medical certificate: Candidate must be in good health mentally and physically, and free from any contagious disease.
- A valid copy of passport or any other travelling document (for international students) and passport-size photographs
- A brief CV
- Language proficiency certificates:
- Bulgarian language proficiency certificate: ECL exam in Bulgarian language
- English language proficiency: Following test scores are accepted-
If you are from English speaking country or you possess a good knowledge of the language, and you do not hold an international recognized certificate in the same, in that case, you can appear for the test on arrival at the higher education institution in Bulgaria.
* All documents must be translated in Bulgarian.
Application Dates and Deadlines
The application dates and deadlines vary from institution to institution, origin of candidate, and study profile.
For preparatory language programme in English or Bulgarian, the application submission deadline is 30th September of the respective year. The dates and deadlines for other higher education institution programme vary.
If the candidate is selected, the application file of the candidate is given to the Ministry of Education, Youth and Science of Bulgaria which provides the acceptance letter stating that the candidate is accepted as a student in Bulgarian higher education institution. Students who require student visa for Bulgaria need this letter.