Grading System, Academic Year and Language of Instruction in Bulgaria
The educational institutions in Bulgaria use a 5-point grading scale, wherein the highest grade is 6 and grade below 3 is considered “fail”.
| Grading Scale||Percentage ||Grade description (In English) ||Grade description (In Bulgarian) ||US Grade || Notes|
| 5.50-6.00|| 92-100%|| Excellent|| Отличен|| A||Best possible grade|
| 4.50-5.49|| 75-91%|| Very Good|| Много добър|| A||Next highest grade|
| 3.50-4.49|| 59-74%|| Good|| Добър|| B||Average performance|
| 3.00-3.49|| 50-58%|| Satisfactory || Среден|| C||Lowest passing|
| 2.00-2.99|| 0-49%|| Fail|| Слаб|| F||Failing grade|
The academic year in Bulgaria runs from mid-September to June end. The academic year is categorized into two semesters:
- Semester one starts in mid-September till January.
- Semester two starts in February and ends in June.
During the academic year, there are Easter, Summer and Christmas holidays.
Language of Instruction
The official language of instruction in Bulgaria is Bulgarian.
- At school level, students are allowed to study in their mother tongue.
- In profile-oriented schools and specialized language schools, the language of instruction is Italian, Spanish, Russian, English, French, Hebrew, Armenian, etc.
- At university level, the language of instruction is English. Some programmes in technical universities are taught in French and German as well.