Student Loans in Bulgaria
A student loan helps pupils with living and study expenses. As per the EU rules, pupils from other EU member states are given entry to universities for the same fees as domestic pupils. Also, scholarships are given to the EU pupils on the similar basis as the local student.
The Bulgarian government offer student loans for undergraduate and graduate studies. Bulgarian loans are given to EU pupils for undergraduate-bachelor, master and doctorate studies at the accredited higher education institutions and for all areas of study-political science, medical, economics, social sciences, technical, etc. In Bulgaria, student loans for EU pupils cover full tuition fees.
Types of Bulgarian Student Loans
There are two types of student loans in Bulgaria:
- Student loans for higher education institution tuition fee
- Student loans for living expenses, or for dependants
EU/EEA and Swiss university pupils are given student loans in Bulgaria. The student loan covers cost of study and living in Bulgaria
. The student loans for higher education
tuition fees are paid directly to the higher education institution, while for living expenses loan is paid directly to the student.
The student loans in Bulgaria are sponsored by the government. The Bulgarian based banks that have signed agreement with Bulgarian Ministry of Education are allowed to give student loans.
- Undergraduate, master and doctorate pupils can apply for student loans, whether they are EU/EEA/Swiss country nationals or Bulgarian citizens.
- Student’s age must be below 35 years
- Student must have not been suspended from their studies
- Student must be enrolled or enrolling in full-time study programme
Applying Ways and Means
In order to receive Bulgarian student loans, students must submit the following documents to one of state approved Bulgarian financial institution/bank:
- A valid copy of identity card
- Acceptance letter/admission letter proving that you’re enrolled or eligible for the next semester studies
- Education qualifications indicating that you do not possess the same educational degree before.
- Declaration stating that you do not possess any loan obligation, or have not taken the same loan from any other bank
- A guarantor
Amount of Bulgarian student loan for tuition fees: The amount is equivalent to the fees due for the remaining training or study duration of the pupil.
Dates and deadlines: After you have been accepted by the university, you can submit the application for student loan.
Interest rate: 7 percentage points
Repayment: Students are required to pay back loans while studying. The Bulgarian student loan must be paid back in equal installments during 10 to 15 year period, starting after the end of grade period. The grace period is the duration form the end of loan agreement till the end of 1-year from the first date of the last state examination.